You've just heard the three words every teen dreads: "YOU NEED BRACES!”
Braces! What now?
Don't worry! Braces aren't nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, braces today come in a variety of styles, materials and colours, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable and even more stylish than in the past.
How long will I have to wear braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- Early treatment — Early treatment allows orthodontists to monitor the growth of the jaw and recommend further orthodontic treatment if it becomes necessary. Not everybody receives early orthodontic treatment, and in some cases it may be recommended that a patient wait until they are older to receive treatment.
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Different patients react to treatments differently, so while it may take one patient only 12 months to complete their treatment, it may take another patient 24 months. Treatment times can vary, depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the great smile you expect.
- YOU! — Your co-operation and willingness to use the appliances exactly as asked by the orthodontist, plays a major role in how long it takes to complete your treatment. Always carefully look after your braces and remember, it is your co-operation with treatment, that will help make your time in braces shorter!
Braces Your Way!
Our practice offers a variety of braces, types and styles, to choose from. Some common options include:
- Ceramic braces
- Invisible braces
- Lingual braces
- Traditional metal braces
What can I eat while wearing braces?
You've probably heard from your parents, friends, and even your orthodontist, the long list of foods and beverages that you should avoid while wearing braces. While it may seem like you're giving up a lot, it is important to avoid eating certain foods. We also want you to enjoy your braces experience, so here's a quick list of foods to avoid and foods to embrace while wearing braces.
Foods to avoid while wearing braces:
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, ice, hard biscuits
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard lollies
- Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, bread rolls
Foods you CAN eat while wearing braces:
- Dairy — cheese, yoghurts, custards, milk drinks
- Breads — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins, soft breads and rolls
- Grains — pasta, rice
- Meats/poultry — avoid pork crackling - cut meat off bones
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — cut fresh veggies into bite size pieces
- Fruits — cut into bite size pieces
- Treats — ice cream, milkshakes, jellies, chips
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many teens. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today's braces make it much easier to look good and feel good! Please contact our practice to schedule your next orthodontic checkup.